The Mandalorian and I have started collecting Pokémon Trading Card Game cards. We looked at the original Base Set packs and how much they are worth today. The results made me regret not owning more Pokémon cards. How do Pokémon cards compare with stock market returns?
Pokemon US Base Set pack price on January 9th, 1999: $3.29 (Source: Pojo)
Pokemon Base Set pack price on January 28th, 2023: $324!!!
Annual compounded increase: ($324/3.29)^(1/24)-1= 21.1%
S&P 500 index value January 1999: ~1250 (Stockcharts approximation)
S&P 500 index value January 28th, 2023: ~4071
Annual compounded increase: (4071/1250)^(1/(24)- 1 = 5.0%
A collectible not related to stocks, bonds, or commodities outperformed any of those options. Imagine that? This is not investment advice. We’re trying to expand the idea of what could be considered an investment. Always do your own research. And, the old caveat applies, past returns are not indicative of future returns.
One Pokemon base set booster box, 36 packs, 10 cards each, is now worth $11,664. Talk about regret.
There are many ways to reach our rewirement goals. Choose the path that aligns with your strengths.
- Opinion: Another senseless tragedyAnother senseless gun violence tragedy impacts our mental health.
- Story: TranquilityA short story, by my daughter, themandalorian. Nestled in a picturesque village, surrounded by rolling hills and lush greenery, there lived a young maiden whose unwavering bravery and sharp intellect had earned her a place of admiration and respect among the local people. Her insatiable curiosity and unquenchable thirst for adventure were matched only byContinue reading “Story: Tranquility”
- 200 posts later…We reached 200 posts on our blog. Maybe perseverance does pay off.
- Best credit union 1 year CD ratesCredit unions are offering great interest rates over one year time periods. Credit unions are a great alternative to for profit banks.
- New I bonds offer 4.3%New I Bond rates are out, for the May 2023 to October 2023 period. New I Bonds offer an attractive 0.9% fixed return for the life of the bonds.
- Sofi raises savings to 4.2%SoFi raises its savings rate to 4.2% and reports fantastic results. The stock promptly tanked.
- Business: We got our EIN! What’s next?In our Starting a business series, we have our EIN. Now, it’s time to sign our operating agreement and open a business bank account.
- Investing: First Republic Bank is a gonerWe lost on a foolish bet on First Republic Bank. Avoid our mistake. If you have put options, pay close attention.